THE ACADEMIC PART OF THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL CAREER WILL REMIND YOU A LOT OF PRIMARY SCHOOL: THE SUBJECTS WILL BE QUITE SIMILAR.
WHAT WILL BE DIFFERENT, HOWEVER, IS THE NEW ENVIRONMENT, NEW FRIENDS AND A MORE FLEXIBLE EXAM PROCEDURE. iT IS IMPORTANT TO US THAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WHEN YOU STUDY AND WRITE EXAMS. IN SASOLBURG THS, YOU WILL ALSO BE INTRODUCED TO THE TECHNICAL SUBJECTS THAT WE OFFER FROM GRADE 10. THIS WAY IT IS EASIER FOR YOU TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT SUBJECTS TO SPECIALIZE IN FROM THAT AGE.
In grade 10 you will truly start specializing in the technical subject of your choice. There is now 9 subjects available for you to choose from! What’s more, is you will leave matric with an N3-qualification! AND you don’t have to battle through “pure” Maths and Science anymore! You can now rather choose to take TECHNICAL mathematics and TECHNICAL science. These subjects are recognised by the industry and that you, in other words, will be able to use in your job someday.
THS Sasolburg is a technical focus school. This means exactly what it says: We focus on technical. What does this however, mean for you as a learner?
Your subjects will be quite similar to the ones that you had in grade 7. What will however be different, is that you will have additional Technology periods. This way you will be able to gain exposure to each technical subject that we offer, making it easier for you to choose a specialist subject at the end of grade 9.
Now things are getting interesting! Now you can specialise in a specific area. Your subject package will look something like this:
- Home Language: Seeing that THS is a double medium school, it will be Afrikaans Huistaal, or English Home Language. Seeing that you are reading the english version of this page, it is most likely that you will be enrolled for English Home Language.
- First Additional Language: Again, double medium means Afrikaans Eerste Addisionele Taal or English First Additional Language (for Afrikaans Home Language students).
- Mathematics – Pure Mathematices or Technical Mathematics – Maths Literacy meant nothing for a technical learner. That is why an entirely new subject called Technical Mathematics was created with technical schools and technical subjects in mind. Technical Mathematics is acknowledged by industry. This means you can do your artisanship with Technical Mathematics! Wonderful news! Pure mathematics is however still recommended for university study.
- Science – Physical Science or Technical Science: Technical Science was also formulated with technical education in mind. This subject is also acknowledged by industry and you can therefor continue your studies with Technical Science! Physical Science is however still recommended for university study.
- Engineering Graphics & Design: Our parents knew that subject as Technical Drawing. In EGD, you will learn to interpret plans and even draw your own plans of whatever you will produce in the technical subject of your choosing.
- Technical Subject: Choose from nine specialist subjects and choose the area in which your interest lies. Your options are:
- Digital Systems: A learner that chooses digital systems will get to know more about computers, Boolean mathematics, micro processors, system control, processors and programming.
- Power Systems: Power systems refer to the application of electricity where the heavy current received from a main power supply to provide for a range of uses.
- Electronics: Electronics introduces the learner to the application of analogue electronics utilizing light current.
- Construction: Construction deals with the erection of concrete and brick structures. It is all about foundations, concrete, form work and reinforcement, staging, staircases, roofing and related aspects.
- Woodwork: In Woodwork the learner is introduced to all aspects regarding wooden construction including fitting, wall paneling, timber, floating floors, staircases, doors, roofing, cabinets and much more!
- Civil services: Civil services has to do with the ‘wet’ aspects of construction, pipe construction, sewerage, cold and hot water supply as well as all similar aspects.
Automotive: Automotive studies the mechanics behind petrol and diesel vehicles, motor cycles, lawn mowers and tractors.
- Fitting and turning: lncludes the turning, milling, cutting and forming, fitting of keys, shafts and more. The three dimensional processing of steel..
- Welding & metal: Includes welding (with gas, electricity, MIG, MAGS) development and the processing of steel plate as well as erection of structures from it.